Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Question 7

7th Entry
Are there any settings in this novel which you have found to be beautiful? or disturbing? or memorable? Describe these settings and comment on why they were meaningful to you.



As I read the novel, I thought that this was indeed a beautiful island. Filled with dancing butterflies and sweet fruits, the weather is also pleasant and calm. The sea is crystal clear and blue, and the honey-colored sunshine is always enjoyable. The flowers and the trees are also beautiful. At night, the dark sky is loaded with twinkling stars. This setting was memorable and beautiful to me because it made me dream of a paradise. I could easily picture a marvelous place that would only appear in fairy tales.
However, the island was disturbing at the same time. The darkness of the thick forest creates an air of evilness. Also, the steep rocks and the cliffs of the mountain made me feel like there was always evil watching over the children, trying to soak the whole island in to violence and savagery. It made me feel like evil spirits were living in the island. Also, when the dead guy with a parachute landed on the island, it was so despairing and dreadful.
I think what makes this beautiful island in to a place full of fear and evil is the boys living on the island. The evil nature inside them commits murders on the island. The violence becomes worse, and Jack’s greed takes over the whole island. From this novel, I learned that no matter how good the environment is, human’s evil nature can be easily shown. I thought before that the lack of food or drink might cause the violence in the island, but even when they had enough of it, there was still savagery. At the end, the whole island is set on fire and burnt down because of the boys’ fears and evilness. This shows that when a society is filled with evil and violence with no rules, everything comes to destruction.

No comments: